Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Wednesday Wall

A busy day. After breakfast, we went over some of the work from yesterday. Then the boys had a slightly more relaxed time while the girls set two numbers - the rehearsal scene (a tap number) and Ay Caramba (an all-out Latin number). Then after lunch we set all the Rico scenes, and finally the finale. That meant that after the afternoon teabreak we were able to do a "run" of the whole show.

Around lunchtime, we had the costumes delivered to the school, and I was one of the small army of helpers who ferried the hampers in from the van to the rehearsal rooms.

Before dinner I went for a drive to try to find a black shirt. I had one set out, but somehow it just didn't get packed. I managed to find the only large, 24-hour Tesco in the world that doesn't sell clothes! I ended up just getting back to the University in time for dinner.

After that, we went to the rehearsal room to collect our costumes. I have ended up with five costumes, one of which I have to share with the other Steven/Tony. They are:

white suit, for the opening number
blue suit, used for Rico in Havana and for the time when Steven is going off to rescue Lola
evening suit, used for Rico's walk across the stage
black sequinned outfit, used for Dancin' Fool
dressing gown, for the opening

In addition, I also have a robe, crucifix and hat for the moment that I am onstage for Man of La Mancha.

Wednesday is traditionally the day of the "Wednesday Wobbles" or the "Wednesday Wall". People tend to reach their capacity, and start doubting their ability to do what is required. I can identify with this - there are lots of pieces of dialogue that I stumbled over, and I am nervous about some parts of the dances. There are a few bits of Dancin' Fool that I have trouble with, and the opening is far worse...

Tomorrow (Thursday) is going to be a day for consolidation.

No comments: