Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer School Day 1

Left home in the most apalling weather. The rain was lashing down, bouncing off the ground. Truly dreadful weather - what has happened to summer?

Drove down, stopping for a McDonalds on the way. The journey statistics were

Distance: 236 miles
Average speed: 49mph (this includes a 15 minute stop at McDonalds)
Time: 4hr 51 minutes (again includes the stop for lunch)
Fuel consumption: 47.6miles per gallon

By the time I arrived, the rain was mostly off and I was able to get my stuff moved into my room quite easily. The room is okay - having the en suite makes such a difference - and then I went down to go to the "new students" meeting. I don't really count as a new student, but it's been many years since I was last here so I turned up anyway.

After that, dinner.

Then we went to the official welcome from the Principal of the school. He explained that over the course of a week, each class will put on a forty to fifty minute extract from a show. Class A is "Man Of La Mancha", Class B is "Kiss Me Kate" and Class C, "Copacabana". I am in Class C
After that we split up into our classes. It was pretty scary to see that we number four girls and four boys. We are promised another girl will join us; she is travelling just now but will be with us tomorrow.

I put my name down to audition for the part of Steven / Tony. I have been learning the lines for the past week or two, but had completely failed to learn the musical audtition. I have got a lot of learning to do tonight.

While we were at the introductory Class C meeting, the director said that he was still convinced that we could put on a good extract. We should be expecting to work very hard over the next week, however. With only nine people on stage it will be hard to cover for any mistakes. And with six male roles, the casting will be interesting too!

So, Class C got to the bar first, and eventually the other classes arrived. We scored one minor victory in that a girl in one of the other classes decided to move over to Class C. I am told that she is a terrific dancer - great! I like the idea of another person to hide behind :-)

No comments: