Sunday, August 17, 2008

Saturday - Performance Day

So, yesterday was dress rehearsal day. Today is performance day. It's the same deal as yesterday, running classes in the order A, B, C before dinner, then C, B, A after dinner.

Before that, we had a short rehearsal in the morning. There were lots of tired faces in the class, but we went over a few areas that didn't quite work yesterday. That took us until around 11am. We then gave some presents from the class to the production team, and broke for lunch.

A rush to get our makeup done and a photocall, and then it was time to go to the theatre. Class A was first, with Man of La Mancha. No crying this time - just - but another excellent performance. Class B came next, with Kiss Me Kate and then it was our turn.

I was surprised at the difference in my attitude this time. Yesterday I was very nervous about things like prop and costume placement, this time not nearly so bad. I was more able to concentrate on what I was meant to be doing onstage. This worked in contrast to my fatigue, and resulted in a performance that I felt was very similar to yesterday's!

When we came out for the break it was lovely to chat with many previous students who had come to Scarborough specially to see the performances. Then it was straight back into the thick of things. A run of Class C, this time with Julian, my opposite number, playing Steven and I was playing Rico. No "boo" this time... shame :-)

After that, Class B and then Class A. I was on for an instant at the end of Class A, as an agent of the Spanish Inquisition. My job was to pick a spot and stare menacingly at it for about two minutes. For the first time, my spot was occupied by an audience member. I feel sorry for her; she probably didn't know that I couldn't see her!

Then a shower and a first-class party and singalong. It's now 0245 as I get this ready to upload. I've got a five hour drive tomorrow.

In summary, another great Summer School week. I feel very pleased with what the school let me achieve this week. I had a wonderful time, and made some lovely new friends.

To anybody involved in amateur musical performance, I cannot recommend this week too highly. The compressed nature of what is done lets you manage more than you would have thought possible in a week. The multiple costume changes force you to learn how to organise and discipline yourself. The friendships to be made are priceless.

2009 information can be found (soon) at http://www.ross-online.org.uk. I am so wanting to be there!

No comments: