Monday, August 4, 2008

Car service and mobile Internet

My car needed serviced today. I can't complain too much; that's 34,000 miles on the clock and it's only the second service. Perhaps surprisingly, there were some ways in which the old Vectra was more refined than the Passat, but the 9,000 mile service interval of the Vectra is something I certainly shall not miss.

Anyway, I find myself with a few hours to kill at the VW dealership. They do have a WLAN, but it is secured and not available for use. So out comes my mobile phone. Yes, I am in a "Three" 3G area. I can connect my laptop to the phone via Bluetooth, and use the phone as a modem. And amazingly, I am connected to the internet.

Dig out the VPN and I even able to log in to work. Now, I don't think I'd want to do a lot of work using this setup, but I can at least answer email. Which is pretty impressive, all told!

No comments: